The school building will be open for students at 7:20 a.m. Because the supervision of students does not begin until 7:20 a.m., students, who walk or are car riders, should not arrive at school before 7:20 a.m. Students who arrive before 7:20 a.m. must remain outside the building. All children who arrive at school between 7:20-7:50 a.m. will go directly to bus duty rooms or to the cafeteria, if eating breakfast. Teachers on bus duty will supervise the students. After Labor Day, all students should walk to class without their parent.
Car riders will exit the building first. All cars need to display the student pickup cards supplied by the school. No parking is allowed in pickup lanes. Car riders should be picked up no later than 2:45 p.m. After 2:45, parents will need to come to the office to sign-out students. Bus riders wait in their classrooms until an announcement is made for them to come to the bus loading area.
Traffic Procedures -- IMPORTANT!!! CELL PHONE USE BY DRIVERS IN AND AROUND A SCHOOL ZONE AND PICK-UP LINE IS DANGEROUS.
• Most importantly, be alert, patient, and cautious.
• Watch speed coming into drop-off/pick-up areas.
• Observe all "one way" areas by using entrances and exits as marked.
• No right turns should be made from the middle drop-off area & the upper parking lot.
• All students should enter and exit from the right-hand side of the car (back & front).
• If you need to come into the building, park in a space rather than on the curb or in the no parking area in the middle drop-off area or behind a parked car.
• Cross from the upper and middle areas at the crosswalk manned with a stop sign.
• Begin the lower afternoon pick-up line at the end of the sidewalk near the "Buckle-Up" sign.
• Display your pick-up number in your windshield. This card is important! Not only does it help speed the dismissal process, it also lets us be sure that all children are picked-up by a parent or a parent's representative. If you need another card, please send a note to your child's teacher.
• If you park in the upper lot and walk down to meet your child, please gather at the parent gathering area near the crosswalk manned with stop sign and show your pick-up number.
• Parking at the Methodist Church or Dollar General Store and walking over to pick-up a child is strongly discouraged because of the volume of traffic on Highway 8 and the unpredictability of children and motorists on the highway! If you make this choice, please gather at the parent gathering area in the middle pick-up lane and show your pick-up number.
• Consider the parking lot a "No Cell Phone Zone." Children are unpredictable – your full attention is needed. Our duty teachers cannot get the attention of a driver who is distracted by a phone conversation.
• Students may not be dropped off before 7:20 a.m.
• Students are tardy if they are not seated when the 8:00 bell rings. Please come into the office and sign-in all tardy students.
• Students not picked-up before 2:45 should be signed out in the office.
• Parking lot traffic volume is less between 7:20-7:40 and 2:35-2:40 making drop-off and pick-up easier.
Morning: Buses will drop students off at the bus ramp after 7:20 in the morning. Bus students will report to the gym or the cafeteria if eating breakfast.
Afternoon: Students will be called to the bus ramp when their bus arrives in the afternoon.
For questions about bus routes go to the following site: SDPC Transportation Services